Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Once every year, the Deer catch human beings

Gary Snyder's poem “Long Hair” departs from customary language and gets somewhere that thrills and engages! 
http://www.wenaus.com/poetry/gs-longhair.html
Nature poems can be silly - Wordsworth wandering lonely as a cloud among a host of daffodils and then dancing with them. Wordsworth fails to convince. However, there are a few poems that are transformative, that bring new insights about my place in the universe. Moving my viewpoint from my little life to awareness of the Life around me is difficult. It doesn’t happen that often, yet, I remember the first time I read Gary Snyder’s “Long Hair” I couldn’t get out of my chair. I had to pause and read it again before I could go on with my day. Something had changed. 
The images and the language are a bit mad. It begins, “Once every year, the Deer catch human beings” and matter-of-factly describes a plot devised by the deer to take over the world. The plainly stated nature of the first section appears to be fantasy, not poetry. And then in a burst of short lines, we go racing with the deer and stop abruptly. 
This is where Snyder captures me:
“Deer spoor and crisscross dusty tracks
Are in the house: and coming out the walls:
And deer bound through my hair.”
And everything, as he predicted, changes and I am seeing where I am in the universe differently, more than for the moments that I am reading, but later also.

No comments:

Post a Comment