Sunday, October 19, 2014

Email

I wonder what it would be like to be forced to read all the emails I have composed during the last twelve years?
Never mind, I wouldn’t do it. 
Okay, I would if the safety of one of my children or my grandchild was at risk, but only if.  
That’s my job - I email.
I’m a problem solver. I email to solve problems. Generally problems that I created by writing a grant that purchased complicated, difficult to use, equipment and software for my school system. 
There are twenty-six steps to assigning a twelve minute math module to a fifth grade student, and fourteen more steps before a teacher can view the results of that assignment. A lot can go wrong. 
I email initial instructions to everyone.
I email clarifications of the the initial instructions.
Things go wrong.
I email personal explanations of why things are going wrong.
I email Ms. Y to please help Mr. X because it doesn’t matter how many emails I send, he just can’t follow the sequence and click on the yellow “Submit” button.
I email the software developer that we have discovered that the yellow “Submit” button disappears from the screen exactly 20% of the time. Yes, we did a study. Exactly one out of five times it isn’t there.
The Yellow Button eventually generates hundreds of emails discussing its capricious behavior.   ????
What if you were forced to read all the emails I have composed during the last twelve years?

Only if.  

No comments:

Post a Comment